really good things that can happen if sometimes moderating for effects
much easier to make new friends if not monitory for effects. can actually bond and make friends as people. Also stuff about
stuff about self honesty that’s people
discomfort about being polite is to do with lying
thinks a lot of people as teeneagers are more concious about polite as a game. But it becomes more locked in and automatic and they loose ability to see directors’ commentary in 20s
makes her think bluntness is better. “as, really important for bluntness”. really important to notice they want it back
if your friend shows you a drawing, you can differentiate. if you’re very specific, you can hear what the’re saing. some sort of spectrum. “Well, it’s hard for me to see what this part is supposed to be a drawing of”. think it’s hard for pencil line to see is tricky or wahtever.
there’s something like causing people not to hear a more general thing that’s true
some people you really wanna avoid, you wanna ghost them. You wanna become very unobtrusive
some people you wanna tell them to fuck off
say your teacher wants something that really croseses some boundary of you. They say you can’t. If you have a wave of anger come over your face, pain/shame/anger. They say “no you need to” they’ll back off
partly that it pulls at their humanity. Just pain would pull at their humanity. Something that pulls at shame and pain and anger. here are my boundaries, if you cross here i might bite.
“animals are very low status in vets office”
vet pokes them somewhere, they retreat and growl. vet gets a backoff fromhere signal
your usual reaction is to back off and head the dogs boundaries. you don’t feel threatened by the dog
you dog are out of place
the dog or the person can play high or low status separately from displaying or not displaying anger. not always mixed with display of dominance or high status. trying to display dominance of someone with more satatus than you is bad idea. if something is actually crossing boundary of yours, there are signals that something is crossing boundaries of yours. usually they’ll back of.
Impro by Keith Jhonson, about status Nitzche Ayn Rand general tribal politics.
sure they are rowe thinks row is a little bit wrong. elephant in the brain, describing what was up without weirdly half true insidious
Moral Mazes - poorly written how cooporations work
the meme machine
never split the difference you can give people stuff without it costing you a helicopter
A little book on the human shadow, by Robert Bly. (Different genre, made more out of fairy tales)
how to read more books?
Nonviolent Communication, by Marshal Rosenberg - changed her life - apparently difficult. It made much more sense on the other topics - deep and coherent worldview
“before they found ea they knew how to hang out with their friends. after they joined ea, they lost the ability to hang out. They could go back, and could think about how they weren’t doing somethign importatn”
eas want something from ou. really cool thing in broader world where people enjoy chilling together
those are the eas that go to the bonfire what am i doing now that’s
lots of people who come to ea start thinking like that. Becaus ehtey tell me things about how they used to be able to chill and just enjoy. Now they somehow dot know how to chill that.
- telling a joke because it’s funny
wants ea grants to go to people who do not particularly go to ea necessarily but who are trying to understand the world
especially young people, and i am quite young relative to other people
if there are people trying to understand the world and trying to make the world better
young people usually don’t have nearly as much money to spend learning and stuff and exploring stuff. Getting money to me is a chaper way to aid smart interesting to people to learn more about the world. eg. travellign to tlak to people, getting tutoring, having a sense of security. Becuase if i quit my job ill still have some money
thinks it’s cheap way to increase freedom and exploration to go into the world
really happy taht ea with ftx is spending more way that isn’t about supporting ea idealogy. Not happy about spending money to get people to say their eas
better about spending money to free up people interseting in speeding up the world to ttalk about it
especially when undercapitalised
i already have
sometimes people end up feeling constrained whenever you give them money “okay now i have to think about whatever you want” when this happens. for the same reason why she’s weary of politeness, but not weary when concious game. not a type lying that becomes a lie to yourself.
if you were to try to pretend you were someone’s friend to get ahead in the world. seems potentially corrosive
try to pretend you like somebody even though you don’t. Or pretend teachers are right. or that it doesn’t really make sense to you.
if somebody wants to pay me for some work that’s fine. hey anna, can you pretend to be a certain type of person and i’ll give you money and to your closests friends, not cool. will get everyone confused
hey look, here’s my deal, if you wanna give me my deal, do whatever
- a bunch of eas are assholes specifically in teh sense they don’t know how to enjoy other people’s company unless they share the idealogy but they know how to network them into diong the ea thing there’s a lot of great eas anyway, and there’s a lot of things to be gained outside of the community hope i have friends inside of ea and keep having friends outside of ea
== differnent thing ==
whenever i feel about caring the world, i feel constrained, as opposed to actually
a lot of people near ea. for a lot of people the need or desire for money is very distortive. the best thing to do about it is to acquire some savings
both to acquire some savings, and to be pretty happy not spending too much. want to be able to fall back to not saving too much, but such that your savings are enough to be fine for a few years
- think it’s something that happen late in thier lives
- expand their notion of how much they need to expand how much they have
- freedom is worth a lot
- freedom means having savings, but also having savings without doing too muuch
- want to leave mental line of reatreat with spendin gless, and you value freedom and integrity mor ethan you value larger apartment
- wordpress & amazon prime seems like great things to have and not be depdant on having them
- not deliberating for purchases under a certain size
- financial insecurity is a big bother. best to acquire savings and not depend too much on spending rate
- obnoxious if they assume that
- they think that people who don’t care about the world are dumb
- “that’s cos they are dumb”
- thinks they’re mistaken
- form of wireheading
ten commandments of ea
yash is goodhearting??
War of the Worlds - physisitcs take over world and create world peace by creating big bomb
Recognize the connections of things and laws of conduct of men, so that you may know what you are doing. Let your acts be directed toward a worthy goal, but do not ask if they will reach it; they are to be models and examples, not means to an end. Speak to all men as you do to yourself, with no concern for the effect you make, so that you do not shut them out from your world; lest in isolation the meaning of life slips out of sight and you lose the belief in the perfection of creation. Do not destroy what you cannot create. Touch no dish, except that you are hungry. Do not covet what you cannot have. Do not lie without need. Honor children. Listen reverently to their words and speak to them with infinite love. Do your work for six years; but in the seventh, go into solitude or among strangers, so that the memory of your friends does not hinder you from being what you have become. Lead your life with a gentle hand and be ready to leave whenever you are called.
- she’s more in favour of this than act consequentialism
- ea is like “it’s important to have big effect and which actions would have a good effect”
- think it doesn’t have a good effect, thinks it has a bigger effect than the other thing
- first off, speak your mind even when it’s inconvenient
- don’t try to act in the world with a mind with what’s lost
- try to enjoy self and freinds and interaction, as opposed to get something out of it
- let your attention try to see what you and world and book and everything are made out of”
- trying to pretend you care about the world, is “trying to pretend”.
- for tasks that are harder and subtler than laundry. pretending has less value than more real thing that respects what’s actually up
- good to be attuned when you have the feelings, but bad to see yourself as that. and to block things that seem that they’re not that
- szliaard was not a coward
- speak to all men as you do yourself, not a cowards path
- slizard was very annoying
- particularly to beuro
- if you tune in to what actually’s up with people, it’s caring
- don’t think it’ll be made out of caring for all strangers equally. based on what you are and who you have access to and what makes sense
- “there’s a lot i like about ea”
- a lot of people pave over
- how to know when to listen to scope sensitiveity
- can imagine a plausible world where the main thing that’s necessary is someone doing something straithforwarding
- if the world is bottlenecked on true models of things, much harder to pretend to have true models of things, especially when that’s based on mess with your own and other peole’s true models of things
- some moments i can look up on that were peak creativity
- you can look back and think “that feeling was correct”
- probably some other time where things were blah
- when were you super creative, when were you not
- pretending is associated with blah. Not pretending is associated with (even taking social risks when it requries courage, saying what’s on mind weven when tricky / asking questions even when they make her feel dumb and wasted years of my life / often it’s about pretending to other people but often about pretending ot self”) when don’t pretend much better for something good was happening just then
- better for lasting friendships
- what the wrold needs is more tricky stuff, and less we need to all handweave a bunch of mosquirto nets
- only the person who understands the arguments can do useful work on it?
- often times people don’t do maths research till they get pretty far into grad school
- sense in which find year old kid can be engaged in figuring out which math is good
- and can engage in it themslves
- inside view thing
- as soon as your really thinking you might be contributing
- wanna be in ea ob
- why not not pretend
- can even say it’s not interesting. can just say “look, i don’t necessarily wanna talk about this righ tnow, when youa id that sentence, i felt kinda excluded, but i don’t anna tlak about the world”
- lots of things you can say
- “i’m not” “why are you here?” “to learn about you guys. co syou’re funa nd interesting and i wanna learn how to do stuff”
- she thinks i can get internships anyway
- also the ones you can’t get are probably the ones you don’t want
- if you have to pretend a thing to get an internship will also feel like
- anna is happy to reccomend people for things if she wants
- machieavellian - let me get advice from peole who have successfully gotten into unis “everyone will try to lie about me to get into this” carl shuman
- reading thier admissions essay sand helping them tweak them to get in
- “she said i can email him at the time and cc him at the time”
- feels okay saying this to internship. plan would be to have ongoing relationships with people doing the admissions. admissions you’ll never see who read the application, not gonna feel obfligated. won’t feel obliged.
- “i accept”
- phrasing it that way doesn’t sound much fun
- thinks actually taht if i tell the truth in a way that’s fun and lets me be seen and decereases amount of breathness. some people see this as breath of fresh air
- more manage to have more conversations that are real.
- lies and fakeness have more cost than a person who naively thinks
- but suspects it won’t be decrease way to get to better places.
- better in short run way, in a way that wireheading is always bad in short eterm way
- in maths, should you try to study for whatever’s on the test. in short run better to study for the test.
- what she has against eas decideing who’s cool by deciding who’s echoing ea. it’s themselves studing for test. most looks like things they’re looking
- mean they ewere more interested in saying more new things that they could see new things
- less interested in people who can affirm their idealogy to maek them feel more comfortable
- people being open about world
- people who are having
- which weeks do really cool things happen,
- if they’re
- crux for whatehr sketychy or not, is whether me afterwards feel like i have to justify it
- quite unoriginal claim. should take action that make you feel good afterwards. should lsiten to that quiet voice
- maybe making more original claim that this is actually good for your science and productivyt and abilty to give back to the world
- because truth is your friend, and seeing things is your friend. and you’ll be be able to mek actual friends with external people. email i mentioned doesn’t weird me out
- “annoying that ea longterms
- or can just say that and not worry about that.
- hey sydney i wanna have fun holiday. wanna be in ea scene. not sure how motives line up. wanna help me out, if not no worries.
interested to hear if some of it feels true or false as i gather more detail
when insights did or didn’t happen
- send anna links.
- since anna social context is differnet, more interested in social context in how it’ll go there
- in math grad school. Will make best progress if asking dumb questions. instead of pretending alread understand dominics
- point she’s trying to make is that there’s a world outside of those classrooms, that may reward your context, whether or not the classroom rewards it. World outside will reward you even when social incentives in classroom lean towards pretending
- one of the ways to reward it if you wont’ develop self image wher eyou have to pretend to learn it
- little games are embedded in big game
- if you respect what you actually are and what you care about, something better much happens
- like the thing that happens when tell teacher that that method is useless.
- some backgroun dpicture where lots of people / most people / they’re actually trying to make sense of things whne teens . and they’re stuck treading water trying to feel okay and keep their lives predictable. and have lost indepence
- and be able to choose new things.
- lots of people form actual friendships in teens and undergrand, but many don’t after undergrad. or not nearly as many.
- a bunch of the world looks like trap to follow littl breadcrumbs and collect little social incentives and the process surrenders your freedom, and suspets if could see cost wouldn’t wanna
- “no i didn’t learn it” feels dumb, and teacher maybe docks some points. locally disadvanted. in slightly longer term, maybe end up with ararngement can learn. in general bumping upa nd learning about stuf and social environment and leraning mroe stuff
- those points effect what uni
- something beteer. can learn teacher is better. can end up with local plan tolie to particular teacher, and more like poker
- but anyway, poitn is horrible trap that they’re trying to get you to pretend to be more competent than you are.
- costs in long run bunch of ability to be free and concious and makes friends